INTRODUCTION TO NORDIC WALKING
As a Fitness Professional and Qualified Nordic Walking Instructor, I am passionate about the influence Nordic Walking can have on people’s lives. I have been teaching Nordic Walking since 2009 and have seen some remarkable results with the participants
Nordic Walking is a whole body workout and the closest sport to swimming for the amount of muscles used. What makes Nordic Walking different from other activities is that anyone can do it; any age, any ability and fitness level.
After working as a Fitness Manager in a Gym environment, I realised so many more people were achieving their goals through Nordic Walking rather than staying inside. The social aspect is a huge advantage over other activities as we can chat as we are working out! It is fun and also wonderful to be outside in the fresh air.
I decided to start my own business, Walk2Fitness because I want to show more people the many benefits they will achieve doing this amazing activity. The fact that anyone can try it makes it all the better!
So what is Nordic Walking?
Nordic Walking is an enhancement of ordinary walking – it makes something we can all do…. twice as effective! Nordic Walking uses poles in order to add two major benefits to walking:
- The use of poles means the upper body muscles are used as well as the legs
- The poles help to propel the walker along – this means he/she works harder than usual yet the support given by the poles makes it feel easier!
Nordic Walking is a specific fitness technique and is not to be confused with trekking or hill walking as the poles are not planted in front of the walker but in a specific way that increases the use of the upper body. It can be done by anybody, anywhere and does not require expensive equipment or clothing.
Nordic Walking is the fastest growing fitness activity in the world and is advocated by personal trainers, health clubs, physiotherapists, doctors and health promoters because it is proven to be highly effective, affordable and FUN!
What are the Benefits?
Nordic Walking is quite unique in that it provides benefits for everybody from those with medical problems to the super fit. Whatever age, fitness level or goal, Nordic Walking is suitable, effective and enjoyable.
- Tones the upper and lower body at the same time
- Uses 90% of the skeletal muscles
- Burns up to 46% more calories than ordinary walking
- Reduces the pressure on knees and joints
- Great for the Heart and Lungs
- Ideal for neck, shoulder and back problems
- Poles propel the walker along, making it easier to move faster than normal without feeling the effort.
- It is one of the most effective cross training techniques for athletes and sportspeople who require ultimate cardiovascular and endurance conditioning.
- Can be done anywhere – no need for hills, country paths or even snow!
- It appeals to all ages and fitness levels.
- No need to wear special exercise clothing
- It’s very sociable; participants can chat as they go!
- It is easy to learn and to keep up.
- It combines exercise with the nature which has been proven to boost mood.
Charity walks and activities encouraged
How much is it to try?
Absolutely nothing! I believe in Nordic Walking so much, that I will provide a FREE Taster session of 30 minutes for anyone. If, after the Taster, you decide you would like to learn the full technique, I can sign you up for my Technique course. The Fast Track Course costs £15.00 per session per person and consists of 4 Sessions. Each session you will learn something new until the full technique is achieved. Then you can begin your journey to a healthier and fitter YOU!
After you’ve completed the Technique course you are then welcome to take part in my regular classes which includes Nordic Walking in various areas around Bedfordshire and further afield. We do Adventure Walks, Pub Walks (always popular!), Picnic Walks, Historical Walks, Long Distance Walking and Charity Challenges.